News from NYSCHA (Updated 3-22-2013)
- NECHA/NYSCHA 2013 Combined Annual Meeting
- NYSCHA 2012 Annual Meeting
- Conferences of Interest
- Nominations for NYSCHA Student Awards
- Benchmark Study – Seasonal Influenza Vaccinations
- NYSCHA 2012 Student Awards Recipients
NECHA | NYSCHA 2013 Combined Annual Meeting
November 6-8, 2013 • Burlington, Vermont
Planning for the 2013 Region V Combined Annual Meeting – ‘Together, we are more’ has begun! New England will serve as hosts this year at the Hilton Burlington, a favorite venue for a combined meeting. Click here to capture all the details. Like us on Facebook and stay on top of deadlines and details as they unfold! For more information, contact Julie Basol, NECHA Administrative Director: Julie@NECHAonline.org or 802 598 7424
Handouts from the 2012, 2011, and 2010 Annual Meetings
The handouts from the sessions are available on the Annual Meeting page of this web site. The handouts are organized by the session in which they were held. We appreciate our speakers’ willingness to share their presentations with us. For more…
Conferences/Meetings of Interest
We would be happy to post your announcement of a conference/meeting being held in New York State. Please send your announcement to Mary Madsen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Annual Rensselaer County Sexual Assault Response Team Conference
Thursday, March 28
Hudson Valley Community College, Troy, NY
This one-day conference is for multi-disciplinary professionals who work with sexual assault victims/survivors. The cost is $40, which includes breakfast, lunch, refreshments, all conference materials and parking. For more information, see the registration form. If you have questions or comments about the above, please email Lindsey Crusan at (CrusanL@nehealth.com) or Kevin Readdean (email@example.com).
Survivor to Thriver: Confronting Sexual Assault on Campus
Wednesday, April 3, 8:30-3:30 p.m.
University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
This one-day conference is focused on the impact of gender violence on individuals and campus communities. The conference is free; a boxed lunch can be purchased with registration. For more information, see the registration form. If you have special needs, please let us know by including a request when you register. Contact Kirsten Buscetto at 585-275-8799 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Wednesday, April 3, 9:00-12:30 p.m.
This presentation is offered by the Albany Area Consortium and will be held in the Albany area. For information, contact Marcus Hotaling, PhD, Union College at 518-388-6161 or email@example.com.
College Health Symposium
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
SUNY Geneseo Health & Counseling is pleased to announce the College Health Symposium is set for Tuesday, May 21, 2013. Registration information and program details to follow! Please pass on the news to others who you think would be interested.
2013 Cayuga Lake Triathlon Sports Medicine Conference
Saturday, August 3, 7:00-3:45 p.m.
Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
This one-day conference is presented by Cayuga Center Orthopedics and Sports Medicine. A discounted fee is available for attendees registering by June 1. For the full conference schedule and to register, visit the Cayuga Medical Center website. Contact Christine Hendrick, Course Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. If you are interested in participating in the Cayuga Lake Triathlon on Sunday August 4, 2013, the Cayuga Lake Triathlon Race Committee has set aside a limited amount of spaces for conference attendees. To register, contact the Sports Medicine Office at 252-3580. Standard race entrance fees apply.
Nominations for NYSCHA Student Awards – Due April 15, 2013
Each year college health staff members have the opportunity to nominate individual students and student groups who have contributed to the health of the students on their campuses and/or to the work of the New York State College Health Association. Now is the time to nominate the student or students who have made contributions on your campus.
- Nomination form for individual student award: PDF | Word
- Nomination form for student group award: PDF | Word
Benchmark Study – Seasonal Influenza Vaccinations
In light of the CDC and Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommendation that all health care workers receive an annual flu vaccine, this study aimed to document influenza vaccine rates among staff at student health centers at New York State colleges and universities between September 1, 2012 and January 31, 2013. Thirty-one health services participated in this benchmarking study conducted by the SUNY Health Services Council, with support from NYSCHA. Click here to access the study report.
NYSCHA Student Awards for 2012
Congratulations to our 2012 NYSCHA Student Award Winners! Recently the following students were awarded for their significant contributions to New York State college health. We are proud of our outstanding students and grateful to their nominators. Congratulations, students!
- 2012 NYSCHA Outstanding Student Award - Shuang Liang, University at Albany, SUNY
- 2012 NYSCHA Outstanding Student Group Award - Active Minds, University of Rochester Chapter
Shuang Liang and M. Dolores Cimini
Active Minds, University of Rochester Chapter
2012 NYSCHA Certificates of Recognition
- Chrissy Chase – SUNY Oswego
- Amanda Cheetham - SUNY Cortland
- Damian Moskal - Stony Brook University
- Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) – Syracuse University
- CHOICE Peer Educators - Stony Brook University
- Middle Earth Peer Assistance Program – University at Albany, SUNY
- Controlled Substance Information (CSI) on Dispensed Prescriptions Program. The New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement has implemented the CSI Program to provide direct, secure access to practitioners to view their patients’ recent controlled substance prescription history. Practitioners can view controlled substance prescription information through their existing Health Commerce System (HCS) account: https://commerce.heath.state.ny.us
- Check the Resource page for the following resource materials provided by Rebecca Harrington, Health Promotion Section Chair, and Alex Hall, Clinical Medicine Chair.
- Caffeinated Alcoholic Beverages
- Poster: Clean Hands
- About the New HIV Testing Law
- New Resources:
If you have resources to share on this web site, please send them to email@example.com
- Job Listing in New York State
If you would like to post a position on the NYSCHA web site, send the job description to the NYSCHA web master (firstname.lastname@example.org). Announcements will be posted on the NYSCHA web site for 30-45 days.